Monday, April 19, 2010

The Crucible in Oakland



I went to the open house at the Crucible in Oakland on Saturday. For those who are not familiar with the Crucible, it is an organization of artists who deal in one form or another with fire. They have a huge building with lots of studios dedicated to different arts, where they also offer classes. They have everything from glass blowing, welding, neon, ceramics to fire dancing.

So Saturday they threw open their doors and let folks walk around ask questions and generally watch them do their stuff. First off I'll say that I always wanted to blow glass so I was particularly drawn to that. But some of the other fascinating things I learned about were making neon sculptures, glass etching and forging.

They also had fire eating and fire dancing performances. Apparently once a year they put on what they call a fire ballet. Amazing!

I'm saving my pennies so perhaps I can take a glass blowing class.

Sorry for the blurry pics of the firedancers. It's really hard to capture.

No comments:

Post a Comment