Friday, November 20, 2009

Everyone's got one even the dog


I have a friend who is what the world would call a "real artist". He makes metal sculptures that sell for tens of thousands of dollars. Right about the time I was thinking of selling my felted items he gave me a couple great nuggets of advise.

The first thing he told me is that it is never a rational business decision to sell your craft. Next he asked me if I'd gotten to the point that I couldn't give my art away as gifts as everyone already had at least one already. I laughed and agreed that everyone had at least one felted item. He told me well then you have to take the leap. You're going to be doing your art anyway so you might as well sell it.

I thought that was a great way to look at it. The work involved in selling one's craft is the selling not the making. I, at least, am compelled to create regardless of whether it sells. The hard part is putting it out there.

And, as you can see from the photo. Even my dog has a scarf.

2 comments:

  1. Love the pic!!

    I also have a dog - a german shorthaired pointer.

    ps - this is Blue Calla in case you aren't sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dog looks nice and cozy with that scarf. Lol!

    ReplyDelete